22.4K views

To get a windshield chip repaired or not? That is the question!

Option 1 - Do not get it repaired.

Possible Outcomes

1. Nothing happens.

2. The chips spreads and you have to replace your windshield.

Option 2 - Get it repaired.

Possible Outcomes.

1. It works.

2. It doesn't work and you have to replace it.

According to Safelite Autoglass the average cost of a replacement windshield is $400. They sell you their service by preying on your fears of having to pay either your deductible or the cost of the new windshield. When we weigh the cost it paying the $65 or, if your insurance covers the repair, getting it for free this looks like a great deal. What you will never see on the paperwork you sign is the percentage of failed repairs is 3%. That seems like a small amount and you will probably agree to get the work done. Here is why I will never pay to get my windshield repaired again.

If I take Option 2 and get my windshield repaired, they will bill my insurance $65 and my average out of pocket cost is $7.47 for each repair. How is this possible? If my out of pocket cost for a successful repair is $0 but a failed repair costs me $250, my deductible, and the repairs fail 3% of the time, it averages out to $7.47.

Right now you are probably asking yourself how often not fixing a chipped windshield turns into a repalcement. Well I can't answer that, but I can tell you how often it would need to happen to equal the same average out of pocket cost of getting it repaired, 3%.

What is the cost to your insurance company? On average it costs your insurance company $69.47 per repair.

What does Safelite get out of these? Well Safelite averages $76.97 per repair.

Last year Safelite did over 1 million chip repairs. If 3% of those fail, 30,000 new winshields required a replacement. At an average cost of $400 each they made $12 million in windshield replacements while their repairs brought in over 63 million dollars. The total cost to you and I for getting those repairs was about $7.5 million dollars.

The million dollar question is, can you trust someone to do a good job when failure is more rewarding? I suppose you could always ask the fox to guard the hen house. Let me know how that turns out.

Had an Experience with Safelite Autoglass?

Comments

Your logic is flawed in one way. If they intentionally fail the repair, then more than 3% would fail and then people won't use their service as much. I mean, why would I constantly go to a burger place if they keep making my order wrong.

People talk about windshield repair is not good, thats because you got it fixed where the shop dont have a lifetime warranty like mostly all shops have so if it cracks you bring in your receipt and receive a brand new winshield without ever having to come out of the pocket. People with bad experiences just got the wrong person to repair their windshield.

Next time consider a company that has a lifetime warranty. Did you inquire with Safelite about the warranty?

This guy is a dipshit. Seriously, *** your tin foil hat. When safelite does a repair they're attempting to save the windshield.

I will tell you why they will do a good repair.Because a repair technician makes a commission off of repairs, not windshield replacements.

As well as a bonus for satisfied customer surveys completed.We want your repair to go well so you do the survey and make us more money.

So why would they do a good repair?If they get the $75.00 back, then make you pay (because you want that money you think is a credit towards your new windshield), then they will always do a poor job, on purpose.

You call back, they apply $75.00 towards a new windshield that they sell for $370.00. Only cost you, $370.00, not your $500.00 deductible! Oh joy, they love and want to help you! Nope, they just made .....$370.00-$75.00=$295.00.

They pay $60.00 and now they just made......$295.00-$60.00=$235.00 profit....ON YOU!

Who is the smart one.Safelite and they are ripping off Americans one windshield at a time!

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #696705

I just called to get a repair and they said if the crack spreads, they will credit the $75 towards a replacement.

Actually, he may have the dollar amounts wrong, but he is correct.Not only does Safelite pay themselves more for repairs, the quality of their work is poor compared to a lot of other shops.

So if the customer is not happy, cha-Ching, then they say it has to be replaced! Then they charge you more then anyone else in the USA. They are laughing all the way to the bank...treating us like morons!

They are getting away with it too!Sure seems like a scam to me.

to He is right... #977737

It seems like you have no idea how windshields are to be replaced. You have not gone through the training, so you have no idea how it's done. Stop acting like you know what to do

Mojave, California, United States #616614

What a :cry :cry :cry and down right dummy :roll . Go back to your cave troll!