Safelite AutoGlass - Safelite Nightmare Windshield Replacement

email to manager:

My experience with Safelite is not a good one. Im hoping we can resolve this without going to court. I would appreciate your help in this matter. Thursday Aug 19th. I called to order a new windshield for my 1985 Ramcharger you had one and would come next day Aug 20th to install. The tech came and proceeded to kick out my cracked windshield from the inside of the vehicle. Glass went everywhere. The integrity of the windshield seal was compromised and loosened and pulled out. He then tried installing the new windshield into an old shrunken compromised windshield seal. When it wouldn't fit he broke the windshield forcing it into the old seal. I used to work in a body shop and saw many windshields replaced. During his time here he mentioned his truck was out of gas and he didnt think he could make it to a gas I ended up giving him a gallon or two of fuel so he wouldn't be stranded somewhere. That was the end of the first day.

On the second day a different tech showed up. He too refused to install a new seal and tried to force another new windshield in. Same as the first guy he broke windshield forcing it in. I told him again it needed a new seal due to the first guy kicking windshield out and pulling seal away from frame and the fact that it was a 30 year old seal and had shrunk considerably. So now I've lost 2 days and he said he would order a seal and someone would contact me. He left vehicle incapable of driving with windshield half installed so i would be unable to go to work until it was fixed. This was Friday the 21st of Aug. After no one called me back I called them and they said they would have to order the seal and they couldn't install it till Wednesday the 26th the time needed for new seal to arrive. The techs were more concerned with getting in and out than doing a proper job and installing the new seal it needed and I requested. I explained the first tech kicked out windshield to remove it and compromised the old seal. The second tech finally agreed after breaking second windshield it needed a new seal.

On the 26th Aug my appointment was from 8-12. They showed up at 1:30. This time it was two of them. The second guy that broke second install and someone else. I was expecting a new seal to be installed since that was what they waited 5 additional days for and finally I would have piece of mind that it was done correctly. Well the third guy decided he would have a go at it and not use the new seal that I waited an additional 5 days for without a vehicle to drive. (they said they had new seal with them if it needed it) This really upset me as Ive already lost 5 full days and I walked away and went inside. I also missed a Doctors appointment that I cant be seen for another month. I asked why the new seal wasn't being installed. He said it didn't need it. He said the windshield had been replaced before. That is a flat out lie! I watched the first tech pull the decorative locking trim out and it was original to the vehicle and had shrunk a little over 3 inches.... that should have told the first tech right then it needed a new seal. Why wont they just install a new seal? Just rope it in.....So after a couple hours of messing around trying to stretch old seal they got it in and left a corner with a big gap where rain and moisture will get in. It would have taking just as long if they did the job correctly instead they fooled around for 2 hours forcing the 3rd new windshield into the compromised shrunken seal. Well back to the first guy. Broken pieces of windshield everywhere in driveway big shards. I finally go to take a run to the store because I haven't had groceries in almost a week and I get a piece of glass stuck in my brand new tire that resulted in a flat tire in my driveway. I had just installed the new set of tires around the 4th of Aug. I called Immediatly to start a claim and was told supervisor was on vacation till the 31st of Aug.... well who was left in charge ? Please help!!! Below are pics of the shrunken seal they left as a finished job that will only allow water in to rust and leak and when it freezes It will expand and crack windshield. I just want the job done correctly. Also a pic of the windshield glass in one of my new set of tires that I had just got installed Aug 4th or so . And a big shard of glass I found after I got the flat around techs work area. I told tech I had dogs and didn't want them cutting their feet. He said he cleaned it all up. Please send someone here and have them do the job correctly. I would rather not go to court over this matter. It has cost me plenty already. Below is a pic of gap between frame and old seal and also a pic of glass in my new tire. And another of glass found around techs wor

Here is a quick video showing you what the inside of the windshield frame and seal look like. Per our phone conversation about the pictures I sent that contain a big gap between the seal and windshield frame. That gap is only going to allow water to get in start to leak, start rusting the windshield frame, and in winter it will freeze and expand and cause more problems. I honestly can't believe your techs and yourself feel this a is perfectly acceptable windshield installation. I would like to once again ask for you to do the job properly and install the new seal that I waited an additional 5 days for to arrive. Why bring the new seal but not install it? The old windshield seal adhesive was severely compromised and pulled away from windshield frame when Jason kicked the old windshield out. No new adhesive was used to reseal the old windshield seal back to the frame so I'm expecting nothing but leaks because of it. I paid extra to have glass coverage on my vehicle insurance and want the job done properly. I will do as you requested and purchase a new tire and send you the receipt for reimbursement for the flat tire that was a direct result of broken glass from the windshield that Jason decided to kick out as a means of removal. If this was your vehicle would you be satisfied with this installation? Honestly? Please reconsider I would like the job done properly. Below are some pics. The middle one is of the big gap between the windshield frame and the seal that is going to allow in water The seal is pulled away from the frame area. It will leak and start rusting the frame then when it freezes it will expand and most likely crack the windshield. That was the finished job. Very unsatisfied. The first pic is of a shard of glass I found near the techs work area after i got the flat tire. The third is of the glass still in tire as I put the spare on. My email address is if I need to talk anyone out of using them. My home security caught every minute of this nightmare on video and I think I will need it for court as I don't think they will be coming out a fourth time to do it properly. They did say that they will reimburse me for my tire I just need to buy a replacement and they will cut me a check for that amount in 7-10 days. We'll see.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Product or service
Safelite Auto Glass Windshield Replacement
Review category
Service Centers and Repairs
review #694134 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Safelite AutoGlass? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 2 No 2
Had the same issue 2 Yes 2
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 16, 2015 #1049273

It is now Oct 16th, They paid for my tire but have canceled appointments to fix bad seal and it has been over 9 days since i heard from them. Water has been leaking in under dash from bad seal and now vehicle wont start has no spark wipers wont work blinkers and brake lights wont work. I am not happy.

0 0 Reply

Oct 15, 2015 #1049049

You have rust in installation area anyways. There would be no coverage on warranty if installed that way. If the tech informed you of the rust. Im sure there is a chance that the tech could have messed something up. Old things get damaged. As for a gasket set you dont kick it out, you push it out with your foot. Reuse the gasket if reusable, then seal between the gasket and glass with urethane so it doesnt leak. Then rope the whole assembly back in and return the retainer strip, (not just a decoration for your seal). But a strip that spreads your gasket over the body and seals it to the frame. If the seal fails guess what you seal the gasket to the frame with urethane and replace the retainer strip. There are no good ways to replace or remove gasket set auto glass, dont care what you have seen in a shop for years. Until you do it on a daily basis there is no room for comments. Im sure all the tech was trying to do was save you some money, cause that special ordered gasket was going to cost you more bc you wanted it. Quite a bit more at that. Just saying dont let one bad experience you have ruin every idea you have of that company. If that was the case you wouldnt walk in to a grocery store ever. These people provide a service and you called upon them to do it. If they mess it up guess what they will fix it. Its called buisness. Rant on incompetent auto glass consumers over.

1 0 Reply
fn with morons

Dec 29, 2015 #1085792

I find your comment useless and difficult to read . Do you have your GED ???? First this windshield should be installed by two installers . Pushed in the top and a hook tool or fiber stick should be used to pull the rubber around the rest . Roping this windshield in shows your ignorant . Second, given it's age the gasket should be a "no brainer " to have on this job . Third , these windshields have been made thinner with modern glass so they don't fit as well . It takes someone with skill to fit it properly . Was you who installed this windshield and lacks the skill ??????

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.